Here's a little "User Manual" for everyone working with myself and my team so we're all on the same page for what to expect.
Aside from cropping for various social media platforms, please do not alter the images. What does this mean?
- No additional filters from Instagram or other photo apps.
- No black and white conversions.
- No added text without permission.
Doing a shoot can be really exciting, and sometimes it's really hard to be patient and wait to share about the experience. It's natural to want to have the instant gratification of taking an image with a cell phone. Unfortunately often times that quick cellphone snap that you share on social media is the one that ends up getting the most attention. Simply because it's what everyone saw first. What deserves to get the most attention are the final edited photos. That is the work that we are ALL working in part to achieve, and that's where we collectively should want the attention to go. Every creative will likely have a different thought on behind the scenes photos, and for many sharing what goes on in the process is fun and part of the magic. If BTS stuff is really important to you, my compromise is allowing it to be posted on Instagram or Facebook as part of a story that disappears in 24 hours. It should be an image that depicts what we're all doing, not a photo of a photo I'm in the process of taking (the over the shoulder sort of thing). And even though it doesn't take much time to make these BTS images, it can sometimes slow down the process - and having enough time can be a factor in a lot of shoots.
Any photo of mine you use _must_ be credited.
- Facebook: @DavidJCrewePhotography - https://www.facebook.com/DavidJCrewePhotography/
- Instagram: @DavidJCrewe / @DavidJCreweBTS / @DavidJCreweTravel
- Model Mayhem: #1510226 - https://www.modelmayhem.com/DJCrewePhoto
- Print: © David J. Crewe (Please include URL if possible) www.davidjcrewe.com
- Twitter: @davidjcrewe - https://twitter.com/davidjcrewe
- Web: http://www.davidjcrewe.com
By default I will credit models with a Facebook tag (if it’s on Facebook), and your Instagram account everywhere else. If you have alternate preferences please let me know. If our shoot contains risqué images or content that you don't want linked to you, please let me know beforehand.
In most cases I would rather plan out the apparel for our shoot rather than have you arrive with a big suitcase. I often will ask for quick cellphone photos of you with the outfit on before the shoot so I know how the clothes look (with the exception of lingerie).
Clothing should be clean, fit you properly, free of stains/holes, and be the color/look/vibe we pre-agreed upon.
Sometimes wardrobe will be provided by a stylist. In this case we (the team) will need your sizes for fitting.
Facebook Messenger and texting are what I prefer to use to set up shoots. It's far to easy to miss messages via Instagram and other social media platforms.
Safety First! I'm a huge advocate for safety and transparency on set. While a lot of sessions are one on one, It's very common for me to have a Hair/Makeup/Stylist or assistant on set during the session to help with touchups, lighting, and just general assistance. I always advocate for my clients to communicate with their team/family where they are going, what they are shooting, and if needed/wanted to bring an escort. That being said, I'll advise to bring someone who will _NOT_ be critical of you or the images we're creating. We can't have distractions while we work after all ;) Be aware, if you bring someone with you, I'll likely put them to work ;) haha.
Hair & Makeup
If our shoot includes the services of a hair and makeup artist please arrive with your hair clean and dry, and fresh faced (i.e. moisturizer only – no makeup). If you’re doing your own makeup please avoid fake eyelashes, pink and/or orange tinted lipsticks. If you do your own makeup please bring anything you might need for touch ups. Also suggested: chapstick or lip gloss, and makeup removing wipes.
How many images? How do I get them?
When you shoot with me you get to choose your 5 favorite images for me to edit, which I do in addition to any I select myself. I usually deliver 10 or more from a shoot.
- I do edits as quick as I can, but paid work always comes first for me. It could be a couple of weeks, it could be over a month if I’m super busy.
- You have 7 days to make favorite selections from the time you get your proof gallery via email.
- I offer proof galleries for people as a courtesy to make sure you receive the images that benefit you the most.
- If selecting is too overwhelming or stressful just let me know and I will take care of it. I will provide detailed links to how to select images, and what to expect with retouching.
Implied / Nude / Risque Images
It takes great courage to be photographed wearing little or nothing, and I have great respect for those who are willing to do it. For some it can be a very big decision - and I never want anyone to regret a shoot. It's important to understand ahead of time that images from our shoot, can, and will be shared. This is how I usually share images:
- My Website: I do not censor my website. Unless we agree prior, expect any finished images from a shoot to potentially be on my website. I refer to models on my website only by first name and links to their Instagram accounts. I can omit names and links if desired.
- Instagram: I follow Instagram's TOS as I have no desire for my account to get shut down. Instagram allows for bare butts if they are not closeups - and everything else has to be covered or censored.
- Facebook: I consider Facebook to be a safe for work, and I expect that you have family members on it who will see the images. I do not post anything suggestive or risqué on Facebook.
- Other sites: If we submit the images for publication, you will be involved in that decision. Other sites I use sometimes are Flickr, Model Mayhem, 500px, and Twitter. None of those sites have any strict censorship rules, but I treat them the same as Instagram.
*I will not do an unpaid shoot if I am unable to use the images.
Instagram Feature Accounts
I ask that you consult me first before submitting my photos to a feature account. A “feature account” is basically an account that solely contains images of models and has no original content of their own. They very rarely credit photographers, and I've never seen one that has credited hair and makeup artists. For this reason I do not like my work being posted by 3rd-parties without my permission. If you are approached by one of these accounts, or want to be featured on one please ask me first. Remember my hard rule is that everyone must be credited wherever the images are posted.
Model / Property Releases
I do not photograph anyone without them first signing my model release. I require a separate release for each shoot I do. My current model release is as follows:
"In consideration for value received, receipt whereof is acknowledged, I hereby give David J. Crewe of David J. Crewe Photography (the photographer) the absolute right and permission to copyright and/or publish or use photographic portraits or pictures of me, or in which I may be included in whole or in part, or composite or distorted in character or form. I certify that I am of legal age in the state of California.
- All images presented remain copyright © David J. Crewe Photography, and are protected by federal copyright law.
- Any images used for online purposes are required to be credited with a hyperlink to http://davidjcrewe.com or @davidjcrewe on Instagram. Any images uploaded to Facebook must be credited/tagged in the description.
- Images are considered finished works, and may not be altered in any manner except for cropping, and minimal sharpening which may be applied to images that are being resized from the full resolution files to smaller images suitable for web use. Any other changes must be made by David J. Crewe Photography, or written permission must be obtained.
- Images may be used for promotional purposes only, and may not be sold for profit without the express consent of David J. Crewe Photography.
- Any image used in print must be credited to David J. Crewe Photography in a manner that is clearly visible to anyone viewing the photograph.
- David J. Crewe Photography authorizes you to make reproductions of these images at the photo finisher of your choice, but we are not responsible for color accuracy or poor reproduction from third party vendors."
My model release is subject to change, but I will try and keep this up to date.
Skin Conditions - Scars - Tattoos - Piercings
I'm a decent photo retoucher, but I like to know what I'm getting into. I have tattoos and scars myself, so I know how stressful it can be. Just let me know ahead of time if you're experiencing skin issues that will be present during the shoot so I can assess the situation. It doesn't mean I won't shoot with you, but it can impact the sort of lighting I use.
If you have any scars, tattoos, or piercings that will be visible in our shoot that are not shown in your portfolio images, please let me know ahead of time! I have nothing against scars, tattoos, or piercings - I just like to be able to know what to expect in my subject's overall look.
I don't care how pale you are. Unless I can actually see your organs through your skin, please, please - do not spray tan before a session with me. Whatever your natural tint is, be that tint. Spray tans (and fake tans of any sort) can be retouching nightmares.